Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Humboldt Bay Road Trip

March 7-9, 2008

Finally, a road trip! It had been a while (11/16/07) since my one day excursion to Davis, so I was more then ready. My side-kick, Luke (our youngest) is busy in college now, so I was by my lonesome. Had a leisure drive up 99 and 5 to Redding, then cut over to the "never ending" 299. Beautiful drive, but the mini-van just doesn't get it. But, I shouldn't complain - it got me there and home again. Not bad for a 1999, with 230K on it! Good old Toyota.

First stop was Blue Lake and the Mad River Brewery. Since my last two visits to this part of the country, Mad River Brewery now has a "tasting room" - and it was my kind of place!



This was just what the doctor ordered, after that long drive on 299.


Had their sampler set of seven... All were great, but I didn't care for the John Barleycorn Barleywine. I had high expectations for this one - it won gold at the GABF this last year. To me it didn't even come close to a Bigfoot or a Foghorn.

I really liked the Scotch Porter, and enjoyed a pint before heading on to Eureka.


The brewery is behind and next to the tasting room.



Then, just a short drive from Blue Lake to the outskirts of Eureka. I checked in at the Eureka KOA and got my favorite little Kamping Kabin. Very quiet for a Friday evening. It's nice to be visiting off season. Although Saturday filled in quite a bit. These cabins are actually more expensive then the Motel 6 downtown, and even though the bathroom is a little walk away and you have to bring your sleeping bag for the bed.... You'll see why I like these little guys. a tad bit further down, towards the end of the day...


Then it was off to downtown Eureka for dinner at Lost Coast Brewery...



This place hasn't change a bit since I first visited in October of 2001. I laid low, after all that good Mad River ale, and just had a pint of Downtown Brown and some fantastic pizza

These shots were actually taken later on Sunday morning. The place was so packed Friday and Saturday night it would have been impossible to do any photography.

Walked over to Old Town Coffee. They had a funky three piece group, called Dogbone, and some great coffee (we won't mention the coookie!). Back at the KOA, I had a nice quiet evening on the little front porch swing, listening to NPR, with some Lagunitas Stout, Stone Arrogant B*%#$ and a ceeeeegar! Life is good! This is the main reason I love these little KOA cabins!!!

Saturday morning, went to breakfast at Cafe Brio, on the square in downtown Arcata. This place has fantastic bakery goods (both sweet and the savory kind). Again, it was excellent coffee.


Drove around Humboldt State. Very unique setting, up in the lush hills (they do get a tad bit of rain up here) - a little different then Chico State, where I work.

Then down south, to Ferndale, where the day shaped up with some great blue sky and clouds for photography of this neat little town. "...known for well-preserved Victorian buildings, which are also known as Butterfat Palaces; due to their construction during an epoch wherein considerable wealth was generated in the dairy industry, especially during the 1880's. The entire town is an historical landmark".


A short drive over to Fortuna, to the Eel River Brewery (the first certified organic brewery in the U.S.), for lunch.


A sampler set of seven....

....of which I remember the Stout was the best, because that's what I later had a pint of. I don't remember what I had for lunch, but I do remember the beer was wonderful! They have a very nice outside beer garden area...

...and it brought back found memories of spending time there with Luke. Although, I'm sure he does not have such found memories, because I believe during out last visit he was knee deep in doing Kumon math problem sheets. This was compliments of Professor Mom, who always believed our stops at the brewpubs were a perfect time for Luke to practice his math.

Did some photography along the Eel River.

The weather had changed and it was cloudy and threatening storm. I found a neat little, non chain type, coffee shop in Fortuna - this was definitely a coffee and beer trip! Drove back up to the KOA and listened to my favorite radio show; A Prairie Home Companion, once again on that little swing.

Headed out again. Went up north, above Arcata, to McKinleyville, but Six Rivers Brewing was so packed I drove back to Lost Coast and eventually was able to grab a stool at the bar. These places rock - at least on the weekends. Had a Stout, IPA and some of the best clam chowder, with a half pint of Toffee Brown Ale for dessert!

Before heading out on Sunday morning I walked around the older part of Eureka...

Then I "had" to revisit Lost Coast (shots above) and Six Rivers....

....to get a few photographs. You know what my mother-in-law says about folks that drink before noon - so I just had "a few sips" at each place. At Lost Coast, the lady behind the bar showed me where the original brewery was located in that building - they now do their brewing at a different location, down the street. I had planned on dropping into the old Humboldt Brewpub location, but never made it. They are now part of Firestone Walker, and some new folks have recently opened a pub in the old Arcata building. Oh well, next time!

A view of the drive home on 299...